Thursday, October 9, 2008

Our Lovely Lunch


Brandy, Emily, and Caden came over today and we had a lovely lunch together!

"Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast."William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Our Menu:

Chicken Salad on Whole Grain Bread
Roasted Garlic for Sides of Sandwich Bread
Marinated Asparagus (gift from my mother)
Sautéed Mushrooms to serve on top of our chicken salad
Organic Spring Salad Mix
Chocolate Cobbler topped with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream
Coffee


Chicken Salad
In “The Good Housekeeping Cookbook) … I saw a recipe for Gourmet Chicken Salad. I altered it according to tastes of all involved and it was SO delicious!

Gourmet Chicken Salad
½ cup of mayonnaise (I used more of this and all ingredients bec/ I used a whole food processor bowl of cubed chicken breasts)
1 T. lemon juice
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 T. heavy cream
1/8 tsp. dried marjoram
4 large thick pieces of cold cooked chicken or turkey
Tomato slices (had not tomatoes)
Cucumber slices (had none)
Snipped parsley (forgot it)


Mix mayonnaise with lemon juice, salt, pepper, cream and marjoram. Use to coat pieces of chicken. Serve on greens, garnished with tomato and cucumber slices and snipped parsley. Makes 2 to 4 servings, depending on size of chicken pieces.


HOW I DID IT:
Filled food processor with cold, cubed, cooked chicken breasts. Drizzled heavy cream over it, added mayonnaise, salt, pepper, lemon juice, marjoram and mustard. Pulsed it until desired consistency. All ages loved it!


Roasted Garlic


I have a clay garlic roaster I’ve had and used for many years. I got it for under $10 when a Montgomery Wards store was going out of business! I’ve read you can use pie tins, baking dishes, and so on as long as they are oven safe!


I take a big knife and slice the very tips/tops of five or so heads of garlic and place cut side up in dish. I drizzle olive oil over the tops and sprinkle kosher salt and grind pepper over all. Roast at 350 degrees F. for 40 to 50 minutes.


My five year old eats this spread on his sandwiches!


Sautéed Mushrooms
I do my portabella and other fresh mushrooms the same.
I drizzle olive oil in a big cast iron skillet and put one to a few pats of butter depending on how many I’m making. I add sliced mushrooms to the skillet and sprinkle kosher and freshly ground pepper over them. Turn on high and either cook all the way through or cook to a certain point and change heat to medium.
Even my little grandgirl adores these!
Chocolate Cobbler
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 155 members Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes
Yields: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS:
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons
unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
powder
1 1/2 cups boiling water

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Melt butter in an 8x8 inch baking dish while the oven preheats.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa. Stir in milk and vanilla until smooth. Spoon this batter over the melted butter in the baking dish.
3. Stir together the remaining cup of sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Sprinkle over the batter. Slowly pour boiling water over the top of the mixture.
4. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until set. Serve slightly warm with ice cream.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/9/2008

No comments: