Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Last Night of Fall Break: Dinner


Last Night of Fall Break: Dinner

Menu:

Garlic Chicken
Mashed Potatoes (cheated with the instant flakes bec/ that is what we had!)
Skillet Fried Corn
Pumpkin Casserole

A quick note: I have always tried to use everything up in my baking/cooking with as little to no waste as possible. With finances being tight now, I am challenging myself to use up every drop, pinch, spoon, and scrape!
I base my meals on using up even small amounts of dishes or ingredients. The example tonight was using up frozen corn from the freezer and making use of evaporated milk left from a recipe.


Garlic Chicken
Submitted by: Carol
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 2343 members Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes Ready In: 55 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
cheese
4 skinless, boneless chicken
breast halves

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Warm the garlic and olive oil to blend the flavors. In a separate dish, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip the chicken breasts in the olive oil and garlic mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place in a shallow baking dish.
3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/14/2008

Skillet Fried Corn

I just tossed some frozen corn kernels in a skillet with some melted butter. I let this cook until the corn was cooked all the way through and then drizzled some honey on top. I stirred this in and after a few minutes… added some leftover canned milk. Sprinkled some salt in and ground some black pepper over and it was loved!

Pumpkin Casserole
Submitted by: Lori DeLosh
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 51 members
Yields: 11 servings

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups pumpkin puree (I used a can of pumpkin)
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup white sugar (I used ½ cup of sucanat and ½ cup of brown sugar)
1/2 cup self-rising flour (made my own. Took freshly milled soft wheat berries …the flour from them… and added 1 ½ t. baking powder and ½ t. salt)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter
2 pinches ground cinnamon (I sprinkled more)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and ground cinnamon to taste. Spoon into a casserole dish.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/14/2008

I just wanted something to go with what we had. This went quite well with the chicken, corn, and mashed potatoes!
It has a very “Autumny” comforting kind of tastes! It reminds me of the crust-less pumpkin pie you see recipes for during this season.

My 14 year old daughter and I decided it would be a delightful dessert with a dollop of whipped cream on top or vanilla bean ice cream. Even a drizzle of heavy cream would be nice. We had some half-n-half and it was even good with that but I would prefer something less milk like.

No comments: