Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Whole Chickens & Chicken Broth


I made two whole chickens this evening while two ovens baked pans of Turkish seasoned chicken breasts and Spicy Seasoned chicken breasts.

After that, I let the broth simmer on a back burner while dinner was eaten and cleaned up, the other chicken was put up and fresh coffee was made for my husband. He came in late tonight with a bad headache and needed the caffeine and something hot!


Boiling Whole Chickens and Making Broth


There is probably not a hard way to boil a whole chicken but I didn’t know how to do it for years. I’m sharing this for anyone… young , old and in between… who would like an easy way of it.
If I’m feeling creative, I’ll go to my cookbooks or online sites to find an actual recipe to follow but every other time, I:
Wash the whole chicken, place breast side down in a stock pot, fill with water until about half way up the chicken OR cover with water. I do it both ways just depending on what I want that day. It works either way. Sometimes, I like a little less water than covering because it seems there is more flavor left for the broth but if I’m desiring more broth in general, I start with more water.
That is it. I just bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and let it do that until the meat is so tender it almost falls off the bones. This seems to be anywhere from 1 ½ hours to 2 ½ depending on stove.


Chicken Broth:


Easy!
I just put my drainer over a bowl or small pot and carefully pour the chicken and liquid in it. I grab all the meat and put it in containers safe for fridge or freezer and keep adding until one or more are full. Lately, I’ve been fitting two whole chickens in my glass Pyrex or Anchor Hocking storage bowl with lid.
All the leftover liquid, all the skin, bones, and anything other than the meat goes into one pot and back to the stove top. I added just carrots tonight bec/ I am out of some other wonderful add ins.
Typically, it is cut up celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and just ANY left over vegetable including clean skins, stems, and so on.
Simmer for approximately four or five hours , then strain and put in containers. I freeze mine in 1-cup , 2-cup and/or 1-quart portions and neatly stack in freezer until I need them.

No comments: