Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A Blueberry Day


     Yesterday morning, I made a quick pot of morning oatmeal. As it sat covered on the stove top to keep warm for everyone while they got ready for school, the phone rang. It was our son, Brandon calling from the fire station where he had his first day of work. This was a beautiful answer to prayer and a HUGE display of God’ s wonder.


     Anyway, he was heading over to catch seeing his little brother before school. He (along with every one of my kids) is no longer an oatmeal eater (as you can see, I still fix it!) because they all say I made it too much when they were growing up.

     I started a batch of pancakes from a mix we have been buying from Sam’s for years. Brandon and his teenage sister asked for blueberries so I tumbled a generous amount from a freezer bag of them and they cooked beautifully in without being thawed. I heated the syrup, added pats of butter and we had a wonderful breakfast. The oatmeal got left on the sidelines for a baking venture later.

     Later in the day, I was in the kitchen when I heard a small series of knocks and taps. I opened the door to see my twin niece & nephew standing there with Nana & Papa! We were so happy to see them and I started a fresh pot of coffee. I wanted to make something very quick and comforting to serve and I knew Papa just loved blueberry muffins I made in the past so I looked for a recipe. Everything called for eggs and we were out and I didn’t have ingredients for the vegan versions I found online. I pulled out a Bisquick cookbook my sister gave me right after her 23 year old daughter, my niece was killed in a car accident. The book had been ordered for Nikki because she was trying to learn how to cook and she needed something not complicated. She had a tendency to burn bacon, eggs, and just about anything else she put on the stove top… smiles and heart pains as I remember this precious girl.

     Right inside the cookbook cover was a recipe for blueberry muffins but it called for an egg. My mom said I could use mayonnaise instead because it had eggs in it. I was skeptical but it worked! The muffins were baked in our Pampered Chef stoneware pan and they came out beautiful and delicious.

     I did a quick online search to see if I could find the recipe to save time hand typing it and I did! This one from RecipeZaar is the same one in the book! I’ve added my little notes as well.

Bisquick Blueberry Muffins

SERVES 9

• 2 cups Bisquick (reduced fat is fine, too)

• 1/3 cup sugar (I used sucanat and it could use a few tablespoons more next time)

• 2/3 cup milk

• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

• 1 egg (I used two tablespoons of mayonnaise)

• 3/4 cup organic frozen blueberries (smaller, juicier) ---I used over a cup!

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Grease muffin pan well.

3. Stir all ingredients except blueberries in medium bowl, just until moistened.

4. Fold in berries.

5. Divide batter evenly in 9 muffin cups.

6. Bake 13 to 18 minutes or until golden brown.

7. Cool slightly and remove from pan to wire rack.

8. Yield: 9 muffins.



© 2009 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com

No comments: