Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Stevia Cookies, Jalapeño Cornbread & Crockpot Soup

A beloved friend gifted us with a bag of Stevia sweetener and I wanted to
make something using it when she came by today. She was bringing some things
to help me on my next trip to the children's hospital with my sister and
nephew and I wanted to have things here to serve. She brought supplies for
jalapeño corncakes and I had ready to eat soup for us to eat them with.
Anyway, the cookies were okay but not my favorite. They were a bit crumbly
but similar to shortbread. I'm sharing the recipe anyway even though I
usually don't share those I don't like much. The reason for this time is
because I was out of ingredients and made so many substitutions that I think
it contributed to the end results and maybe following it exactly will fare
better.
The stevia I have is a Stevia in the Raw so it would need more than the 1/2
t. listed here for stevia powder.
I used 1/4 cup of Splenda and 1/4 cup of Stevia.

Stevia Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookies
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon white stevia powder
• 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
• 1 cup salted butter, softened
• 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and set aside.*
2. In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking
powder, and set aside.
3. Place the egg, stevia, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl, and beat well
with a wooden spoon or an electric hand-held mixer. Slowly add the butter,
continuing to beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
4. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring
well with a wooden spoon after each addition. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Drop heaping teaspoons of batter on the cookie sheet, about 2 inches
apart. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.
* Instead of greasing a cookie sheet, you can cover it with parchment paper,
which makes for quick and easy cleanup.

Debby's Jalapeño Cornbread Skillet Cakes in Memory of Mickey
Mickey was Debby's Mother-in-Love and they have been together four to five
days a week for over a year now and on the phone daily the few times in
between. Debby drove over an hour to and from Mickey's to care for her
through chemotherapy, for doctor's appointments, to cook, clean, and care
for every need. The two women were in almost constant contact in the fifteen
or so years we've known them and by what I could tell, the same was true for
the many years before that.
One of the countless things Mickey taught Debby over the years was corn
fritters. She learned the basic version but loves spicy things and started
adding 2-4 diced jalapenos and packed them along with thermoses of homemade
soup on hospital trips. We have eaten these so many times since she first
shared some with us and I took two Ziploc bags on my last hospital trip for
my nephew. They were devoured by all of us!
The tricky part will be measurements because there aren't any!
I remember Mickey making these once when I went with Debby to her house for
an overnight visit and I will probably always think of her and now Debby
when I make these. The "amounts" I'm sharing here make about 8 (few inches
each) round fritters.

Corn flour or corn meal is shaken into a mixing bowl. One egg is added and
enough buttermilk to make a thick batter. 2-4 jalapenos are stirred in (2
for mild to medium and 4 for HOT) and a griddle is heated and greased. We
used olive oil on some and coconut oil on the others and both had great
results. The batter is spooned in circles (about the size of small to medium
pancakes) and cooked a few minutes per side.
I made another batch that I added my touches on and will make both versions
from now on depending on what we will be eating them with.
I shook some corn flour into my mixing bowl and sprinkled a small amount of
all-purpose flour on top. I added two eggs and buttermilk and then added 2
jalapenos I chopped in the small bowl of food processer. I added two eggs
because I used more corn meal and other ingredients in order to make more
than 8. I don't recall the quantity but I filled two quart size Ziploc bags.

These were eaten with a bean soup I made in the crockpot the night before
and I transferred it directly to a stainless steel thermos. It was still
steaming many hours later! Three adults enjoyed small bowl after bowl of
this!

Crockpot White Chili
--16 oz bag of frozen white corn
--2 cans of White Beans
--1 4 oz can of green chilies
--1/2 chopped white onion
--2 minced cloves garlic
--1 cup vegetable broth
--juice from one lemon
--1 1/2 t cumin
--1/2 t Italian seasoning
--salt and pepper to taste
--mozzarella cheese (optional)
The Directions. (Notes are from recipe author, not me.)
--Pour everything into crockpot.
You don't need to drain and rinse the beans, or drain the chilies.
Cook on low for 8-9 hours, or high for 4-6. I cooked this for 6 hours on
low, and the onions were still too crunchy, so I flipped it to high for
another hour.
Serve with shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

No comments: