Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sourdough Starters - Daily Notes

You can be BUSY and still keep up with sourdough starter. I have four going at one time and if I wrote down everything I have kept up with for months on end, it would take a small notebook to get it all down!
A few minutes a day is all it takes.

I will share pictures when I get them off my ipod. I have taken them almost every day but I didn't today. I was going to but the battery was dead.
One photo should have a note near it with this info:

3/2/11 8:00 pm 24+3 hours

Notes:

Second Feeding
3.2.11

Qt. jar - 1/2 cup of whole grain flour and 1/2 cup of warm well water

Pt. jar - 1/4 cup of whole grain flour and 1/4 cup of warm well water

3/4/11

Changed to clean jars and fed the same amounts as previous days.

Poured off some strong alcohol smelling liquid/foam.

Qt. jar not doing as well. Not as much action and h arder to stir. Mixed flours and now Kamut. Switch to hard white. Consider starting a jar with only hard white wheat. Or only hard red wheat?

Pt. jar - doing very well. Very good bubble action before this morning's feeding.

3/4/11
Yesterday, I poured about half of each Mason jar into a pint sized Mason jar and it was full. I put that in the fridge and covered with plastic wrap. Looks very good this morning. Didn't feed. Plan to feed once a week as I've read you can do when starter is in the refrigerator. Only established starters!

The small crocks:
Kamut flour one smelled very strong and there is very little action.
The white flour is doing well. Bubbly and looking good.

3/5/11
Fed all four starters. Changed all containers except white flour.

Sunday 3/6/11
Fed each starter.

The white flour starter is doing fantastic.
The rest are doing so, so. The quart jar that is now in a Corninware baking dish isn't doing well compared to the others.

Mold showed up in the top of the fridge jar so I threw it out.
Will keep trying. That is the first time I've had that happen!

Love,
Sandy

Second Feeding

No comments: