Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Culinary Catch Up



It is a busy time so I’m gathering recipes as I try them and will post in groups as I go. I’ve mentioned this before but will repeat for new readers:)

Today was our "Weekly Wednesday" with my DIL and grandbabies. She is expecting our third grandchild and has been having a time with nausea. We are preparing our lunches according to what she can tolerate per week.

This week she was craving eggs and even though I cannot access my cookbooks at the moment (my husband runs a business from our home and there are floor to ceiling boxes right in front of my cookbooks right now) --- I remembered a recipe in one my old cookbooks. It was a Mexican style egg dinner dish and I thought it would work for lunch.

Basically, I made rice and scooped it with an ice cream scooper into a bowl. I softly fried and egg making sure it was all cooked BUT kept the yellow center from cooking all the way. I slid the egg on top of the rice and sprinkled Watkins basil over that. Served with salsa, sour cream and pan roasted garlic.
We really liked it!

We wanted a quick dessert since we got a late start and made this using the cupcakes variation:

SIX MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE - from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home

Cake:
1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup sifted sucanat
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup brewed coffee
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar

Glaze: (I didn’t use)
1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup hot water, milk, or half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

To make cake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar into an ungreased 8-inch square or 9-inch round baking pan. In a 2-cup measuring cup, measure and mix together the oil, water or coffee, and vanilla. Pour the liquid ingredients into the baking pan and mix the batter with a fork or small whisk. When the batter is smooth, add the vinegar and stir quickly.
There will be pale swirls in the batter where the baking soda and vinegar are reacting. Stir just until the vinegar is evenly distributed throughout the batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Set the cake aside to cool, and if you choose to make the glaze, reset the oven to 300 degrees.

For the glaze, melt the chocolate in a small oven proof bowl or heavy skillet in the oven for about 15 minutes. Stir the hot liquid and the vanilla into the chocolate. Spoon the glaze over the cooled cake. Refrigerate the glazed cake for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Variation:
To make a dozen cupcakes, follow the recipe directions, mixing the batter in a bowl. Pour the batter into a cupcake pan lined with paper baking cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. While the cupcakes bake, prepare the glaze. When the cupcakes are ready, remove them from the oven and spoon on the glaze. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
*I didn’t refrigerate*


I have adorable pictures of Emily stirring the cake batter, licking the bowl and all of that but they are on my phone. I have to get an adapter before I can download them onto a computer!
Caden was penguin stepping all over the kitchen with cupcake liners he kept finding floating down from the work table. He was getting every crumb off!


My husband had one on his way out to work and we filled a container for Brandy to take home.
Our visit was spent in the kitchen and a bit of resting in the living room and we talked some between taking care of the kids!


Next post: Dinner this evening with Nana, Papa and the Twins!

No comments: