Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer Style Stew

Summer Style Stew

I came up with this with a few goals in mind:

1. It had to be healthy.
2. It had to feed a crowd.
3. It needed to call for a lot of vegetables so I could make full use of my friend's garden gifts and my farmer's market finds.

I am pleased to say that not only were these things met but everyone loved it as well!
Here is how it is made:

olive oil
onions
kale (washed, the main stem cut out and cut or torn)
cabbage (outer leaves off, washed, cored and cut into about 8 wedges)
eggplant (chopped and salted)
fresh garlic (about 4 cloves, through a garlic press)
tomatoes
sea salt & pepper
vegetable stock
chicken stock
fresh green beans
okra (I used sliced, frozen from our farmer's market that I had in the freezer)
lima beans (a hand full)
hard, parmesan wedges cut in big pieces
seasonings

Saute the onion in olive oil and add kale, letting everything simmer while cutting the other ingredients.
Add cabbage and eggplant, and green beans and let simmer, stirring frequently.
Add tomatoes and salt and pepper all.
Add one box of chicken broth and stir as you go and eventually, add a box of vegetable stock.
Add the rest of the ingredients and just let simmer until cooked.

We shaved a bit of real parmesan on the top of ours and ate big bowls with no crackers, bread or anything!




No comments: