I've written the following down several times using a variety of sites, publications and other resources but they are all over the place. It dawned on me that I could post here and share for anyone desiring to find out their own info and I will have it in one place!
I want to make a colorful chart with all of this info to hang in my kitchen and make it a lot easier to keep up with! I've been planning to do this for years and I just need to get it going!
I got this from www.howmuchprotein.com
www.Orthopedics.com says I should be having 1,000 mg of calcium a day.
Fruits: From what I've read... it appears I can do well on at least 3 servings per day and the same for my daughter. My husband and son need around 4 servings per day.
Vegetables: 4-6 servings is my goal. The guys in our home need 5-6.
5 – 10 servingsThis depends on the total number of calories you consume in a day.
- If you consume 1600 calories, eat 5 servings per day.
- If you consume 1800 – 2000 calories, eat 6 servings per day.
- If you consume 2200 calories, eat 7 servings day.
- If you consume 2400 calories, eat 8 servings per day.
- If you consume 2600 calories, eat 9 servings per day.
- If you consume 2800 calories, eat 10 servings per day.
One serving of grains is equal to:Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005
- 1 slice of bread
- ½ cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal
- 1 cup ready-to-eat dry cereal
Here is some helpful information for what kids need: (I focused on this age group but they have all of them on the site).