Thursday, August 2, 2012

Daily Nutrition Goals

I have been spending any time I can scrape for such things continuing my personal ... better health guidelines. .. research.
I've written the following down several times using a variety of sites, publications and other resources but they are all over the place. It dawned on me that I could post here and share for anyone desiring to find out their own info and I will have it in one place!

I want to make a colorful chart with all of this info to hang in my kitchen and make it a lot easier to keep up with! I've been planning to do this for years and I just need to get it going!

 smile529: I have been trying for months to find out my exact nutritional needs. How much protein each day? Fiber? Calcium/Dairy? Fat? Servings of fruits? Vegetables? Grains?

I am finally figuring out some basics!

Protein: 180-225 grams of protein per day?!
I got this from www.howmuchprotein.com
36-45 per meal when I eat five small meals?!
Our 9 year old son needs approximately: 80-96 grams per day and 13-16 grams per meal.
Our 18 year old daughter needs around 104-120 grams per day and 17-22 grams per meal.
My husband 156-195 grams per day and 39-49 per meal.

www.Orthopedics.com says I should be having 1,000 mg of calcium a day.
According the the Mayo Clinic, I need to aim for 25 grams of fiber per day. My husband needs 38!
Our daughter needs 26 grams per day and our son needs 31.
I got the kids' numbers from: http://www.superkidsnutrition.com/

As for fat 
 suggests no more than 25-35 percent of my total calories for the day. I don't want to mess with all the math but I plan on eating only healthy oils and I should get an adequate amount if I am keeping up with my calories.

Fruits: From what I've read... it appears I can do well on at least 3 servings per day and the same for my daughter.  My husband and son need around 4 servings per day.
Vegetables: 4-6 servings is my goal. The guys in our home need 5-6.

Grains:

5 – 10 servings

This depends on the total number of calories you consume in a day.
  • If you consume 1600 calories, eat 5 servings per day.
  • If you consume 1800 – 2000 calories, eat 6 servings per day.
  • If you consume 2200 calories, eat 7 servings day.
  • If you consume 2400 calories, eat 8 servings per day.
  • If you consume 2600 calories, eat 9 servings per day.
  • If you consume 2800 calories, eat 10 servings per day.
One serving of grains is equal to:
  • 1 slice of bread
  • ½ cup cooked rice, pasta, or cereal
  • 1 cup ready-to-eat dry cereal
Source:
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture: Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005

Here is some helpful information for what kids need: (I focused on this age group but they have all of them on the site).

9 to 13 Years

Mayo Clinic states that girls age 9 to 13 require between 1,600 and 2,200 calories a day and boys need 1,800 to 2,600. The wide range in energy needs is dependent upon growth and activity levels. At this age, many children are involved in sports and other activities, which require energy. On average, recommendations include consuming seven servings of grains, two servings of vegetables, three servings of fruit, three servings of dairy and three servings of meat daily.


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/265246-how-many-calories-a-day-should-a-kid-eat/#ixzz22SGuga2V

No comments: