“The keynote to happiness within the four walls that make any home is plain, wholesome, well cooked food, attractively served.”Louis P. De Gouy, The Soup Book (1949)
Southwestern White Chili Recipe
from Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes 3½ hours 20 min prep
(3 ½ hours is for the crockpot. It was just a matter of minutes for the sautéing and then simmering for me)
• 1 cup chopped onion (I used whole)
• 4 garlic cloves, minced (I used five or six?)
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon oregano
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
• 3 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed (I
used a big bowl I had made the previous night from dried Great Northern
• 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chili peppers (optional) (didn’t have)
• 4 cups chicken broth (I used three)
• 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped (I used one chicken breast)
• 2 cups shredded cheese (optional) (just used a small sprinkle on top
of chili in my bowl)
1. In slow cooker, place all ingredients except cheese. Stir to
2. Cover and cook on low heat for 7 - 8 hours or on high heat for 3 1/2
- 4 hours.
3. Stir in cheese until melted.
© 2008 Recipezaar. All Rights Reserved. http://www.recipezaar.com/ [#325277]
I sautéed chicken breast pieces thinly sliced and gently pounded before slicing in olive oil and butter. Added one finely chopped onion after the chicken was cooked. Added 3 or so cups of chicken broth. Added a bowl of beans and a bowl of brown basmati rice, cooked. Added the rest of the ingredients in the cast iron Dutch oven all of this was cooked in and simmered until we were ready to eat.
Braxton went wild over a bowl of rice with the broth from the soup poured over it and some French bread! He went on and on and on about it;)