Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Today's healthier choices

Today:

Rainbow salad with healthy, homemade dressing
Portabella mushroom pizzas

Rainbow salad:
I threw baby spinach leaves, mixed salad greens and cut up Romaine lettuce in a big salad bowl and used my handy salad shooter for all the colors. A quick note on salad shooters... I got my first at the Salvation Army for under $3.00 years ago. I used it until the motor gave out and I used it a LOT. Right before it gave out, I bought one I found at Goodwill for under $6.00. I gave it to my DIL and blessed being that she is... she gave it to me when I was despondent over the high prices new shooters costs. To explain things a bit so I don't look like someone who gives and grabs back ... the shooter hadn't been used and she was only keeping it for making salads when company visited. We live close enough that I told her she can let me know if she ever needs it and she has a bit more space in her little kitchen.
ONTO... the food! Right onto my greens, I shredded cucumbers, celery, beets, onions, cabbage, carrots, yellow squash, and I don't recall the rest.

The portabella pizzas were turned upside down (stem and brown inner side scraped out) and a little spaghetti sauce was spread in each "crust". I added 1 teaspoon of Ricotta cheese to each pizza, 1/2 ounce of sharp cheddar and 1/2 ounce of goat cheese. I topped each with shredded carrots, shredded onions, shredded cabbage, and shredded beets. I know it sounds bad but it somehow worked. I put these in the oven at 400 degrees until the toppings were bubbly. I've made these mushroom pizzas for years and I don't think a batch ever turns out the same!

Dinner:
Nut meat veggie burgers on bread (had no buns) with mayonnaise or cashew ranch dressing, tomato slices (salted and peppered) along with Romaine lettuce, mustard and ketchup.

Rainbow salad left from lunch.
Spaghetti squash with a drizzle of olive oil and seasonings.

Nut meat veggie burgers:
3-4 carrots, peeled
1 onion, peeled and quartered
one splash of OACV (wanted lemon juice but I used the last of what I had on lunch!)
1 cup of pecans
1 cup of almonds
seasonings
Sauteed mushrooms (in Worcestershire sauce, light soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar)
A sprinkle of chili powder, a dash of liquid smoke, a squeeze of chipotle mustard and another of barbecue sauce.
All the ingredients went into the food processor using the S blade. I pulsed/chopped until holding together. I had to work to make these stay together on a greased cast iron grill. I topped some of them with sharp cheddar and they were delicious in flavor but I need something to make them less soft next time. They were still a hit.

That is all for now!

No comments: