Friday, July 8, 2011

Pecan Lace Cookies


It was an emotional night for our teenage daughter and one of her friends came over. I wanted to make something just for a sweet comfort (I know what all the diet things say about using food for comfort but sometimes, I just have to show my care with something baked!) and thought of cookies or a snack cake but had no eggs. 
I have been hovering over a bag of pecans because I've wanted some for months but couldn't justify the raised prices for them. Found a decent size bag for a good price at Sam's and have been trying to make the most of every single one! 
These did turn out just as described ... lacy and crunchy. I thought they were okay but they are picky --- if cooked a minute too long, they tend to start burning. If they aren't cooked well enough, they stick to the aluminum foil. 

I made two separate batches in two days (last weekend) of praline pecans and they keep getting eaten up before I can photograph them! I have a request from a lady at church to make more and every place we went... people loved them. So, I will try to post that recipe next or soon. 

Pecan Lace Cookies I

30 Servings, Prep Time: , Cook Time:
Description
These cookies should be very brittle. Test one or two to get the correct baking time before baking the entire batch.
Ingredients
           1 cup whole wheat flour
           1/2 cup chopped pecans
           1/2 cup quick cooking oats
           1/2 cup light corn syrup
           1/2 cup packed brown sugar
           1/2 cup unsalted butter
           1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
1.         Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 cookie sheets with aluminum foil. In small mixing bowl, sift the flour. Add the pecans and oats. Mix well.
2.         In saucepan over medium heat, combine the corn syrup, brown sugar, and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in the vanilla and flour mixture. Stir until well blended. Mixture will turn opaque. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets about 3 inches apart.
3.         Bake for 9 minutes or until set and golden. When done, slide foil onto wire racks and allow cookies to cool. Re-line cookie sheets with new foil for next batch. Peel cookies off of foil when cool.
Allrecipes.com 

No comments: