Saturday, October 10, 2009

Gathering As We Go . . . .

I am gathering little notes I’ve jotted down over the past few months to remind me of posts I wanted to share and/or articles I’m working on. I need to add more info to some of these so I can recall events, recipes, and reviews a little more clearly!

The following meals were on a day a few weeks ago when our grown kids and their families came to eat with us. We all talked, laughed, ate and just enjoyed being together so it was wonderful.

Here was our dinner:

Spaghetti sauce

I thawed some venison and added it to a cast iron skilled with some organic olive oil drizzled into it. I let the meat cook with some chopped onions and green peppers on medium fire so it would cook evenly and give me time to keep breaking it up because I like it better that way.

When the meat was cooked all the way, I added spaghetti marinara sauce from a jar, tomato sauce, tomato paste and enough water to make it the consistency I wanted.
I stirred in some Italian seasoning blend, parsley, sea salt and freshly ground pepper.

Meanwhile, I had a skilled of diced zucchini sautéing in another cast iron skillet and spaghetti boiling in another pot. Garlic toast got crispy and fragrant in the oven and when the pasta was drained… everything was grabbed from the kitchen and taken hot to the table.

We topped our spaghetti and meat sauce with the zucchini and it was delicious!
If I remember correctly, we also had a huge bowl of salad with this meal as we do as often as we possibly can!

Later that night, long after the dinner mess was cleaned and visiting had been going on for another three or four hours, I made a “snack” from the left overs in our meal.

I pulled the leftover pasta, and tossed it in a skillet where I had already sautéed some chopped onion in olive oil. It went in with some of the l/over zucchini. As soon as it got hot, I added heavy cream and kept heating on a low to medium heat until it was how I wanted it. Right before taking it off the heat, I added 2 T. of pesto from a jar I got at Sam’s and tossed in some freshly shredded parmesan. I took it off the heat and grated some more parmesan over the top. It was SO delicious!

No comments: