Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Lunch & A Dinner


Bagel Sandwiches


I split a bagel and placed both sides on a cookie sheet and added to an oven I set at 375 to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, I heated up sloppy jo meat from the previous night’s dinner (ours was made with venison) and added a jar of mushrooms. When the bagels were golden brown, I took them out and topped both sides with the heated meat mixture and topped with chopped red onions and sharp cheddar cheese.
This was heated until the cheese melted and my husband asked me to write it down. He and my 14 year old daughter loved it!

I made Poppy Seed Chicken tonight and it was easy and perfect for a cold night because it called for the oven!


• 5 cups chopped cooked chicken (I cut two Rotisserie chickens into bite sized pieces because I had no other cooked chicken)
• 1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
• 1 cup sour cream
• 1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (used whole grain Ritz or Ritz like crackers)
• 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (added more to feed my daughter’s pleas for it)
• 1/2 cup butter, melted


DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Place the chicken into a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, stir together the condensed soup and sour cream. Pour over the chicken. In a separate bowl, stir together the crushed crackers, poppy seeds and melted butter. Sprinkle over the chicken and sauce.
3. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top of the casserole is browned and the sauce is bubbly.

Things have been simple in my kitchen because we have been serving in hospitality, going to church, visiting relatives, going to birthday parties and on it goes. The biggest reason has been me tackling my kitchen cleaning (deep cleaning) this month. I hoped to have it done way before now but I’m still knocking it away an area at a time.

Baking, cooking, and making things in this constantly used room will be so much nicer when the cleaning and organizing is done! It is already a big difference just in the changes so far. I'm making a list of things to do more routinely now as well. Like the scrubbing bubbles on the walls I shared about in the last Home Notes letter? That shall be an every 4-6 weeks job from now on!
I'll try to hit the walls, pot rack, oven vent and other grease prone areas regularly enough so it is a quick job.

More later... I need to finish here and get today's culinary work started:)

No comments: