Friday, April 23, 2010

What We've Made Recently

Here are the goods I've been baking and making in my kitchen for the past few weeks:
My husband brought some containers of strawberries home and I had planned to make strawberry bread for the longest time. I finally did and it was a lot darker than I knew it would be (maybe the extra vanilla and strawberry extract I added?) but it was so delicious!
I sliced some for us and it was devoured by our seven year old and the two oldest grandlittles, Emily and Caden. The recipe made two loaves so I sent slices for my niece's best friend and her mother and sent some home with my DIL for her husband:)

Strawberry Bread

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh strawberries
3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
2. Slice strawberries, and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, and set aside while preparing bread mixture.
3. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl: mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com

Vegetarian-if-you-eat-eggs- Tortillas

My DIL and I were getting all kinds of help in the kitchen from Emily (4) and Caden (2) while we held Hailey (8 months) and with all our help. . . managed a great lunch.
We heated tortillas on a griddle and topped them with sharp cheddar cheese, caramelized onions and garlic, topped that with a fried egg, added some butterhead lettuce leaves and shook some hot sauce on the top. We wrapped them burrito style and they were so good!
We also had Brandy's (DIL) sloppy joe's from the night before and they were WONDerful.

Today, Nana & Papa surprised us with bags full of produce and a darling visit. We talked at the table and emptied a whole pot of coffee. I fried some potatoes with Vidalia onions and cooked cabbage in the WOK and put them all together for lunch. I added garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt and pepper to the potatoes and sprinkled parmesan cheese shavings over at the last.

Summer days are setting in so I will share from what I make as we carry along. . . smiles.

No comments: