Saturday, May 2, 2009

English Muffins

I've been hoping to make these English Muffins for awhile now. I thought I sent this recipe along with what we were doing the day we made them but if I did... it must be on my computer. The one I cannot access... still!

Nana and Papa were here with the twins (Summer & Seth/4 years old) and we had homemade English Muffins for the first time. What huge hits! I let my dough rise in our dehydrater and it worked out very well. I made little sticks and tiny biscuits with the stray, left-over pieces and they were more popular than the regular sized!

We had these with a chicken salad my daughter, Lauren made. My parents, husband, and self declared it to be the best chicken salad ever! So completely delicious scooped onto hot, homemade English Muffins. I made mine on a cast iron grill (flat side) on the gas stove top.

Kim in Latvia made these first and she gave me the recipe (and has these on her blog: livinginlatvia.wordpress.com) --- I'm guessing at the link. Don't have the info handy so I'll contact her and get it if needed. I cannot recall if this is the exact one she sent from allrecipes.com or not. I'm sharing it as I think it is but will come back and change it if I'm wrong.
Am I ultra organized right now or what?

English Muffins
---notes from original recipe sender---
"I've used this delicious recipe for about 29 years. They are very good . . . much better than any store-bought English Muffins I've ever had."

Ingredients:
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1/4 cup melted shortening
6 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the sugar, stirring until dissolved. Let cool until lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine the milk, yeast mixture, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and rest of flour, or enough to make a soft dough. Knead. Place in greased bowl, cover, and let rise.
3. Punch down. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter, drinking glass, or empty tuna can. Sprinkle waxed paper with cornmeal and set the rounds on this to rise. Dust tops of muffins with cornmeal also. Cover and let rise 1/2 hour.
4. Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle about 10 minutes on each side on medium heat. Keep baked muffins in a warm oven until all have been cooked. Allow to cool and place in plastic bags for storage. To use, split and toast. Great with orange butter, or cream cheese and jam.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2009 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 5/1/2009

No comments: